The effect of black and white or sepia can often make the people and places in old photographs seem remote and disconnected from reality. Here we present a selection of historic photos of Henfield, in some cases digitally restored and then put through the DeOldify suggestive colourisation algorithm. Dates range from the 1860s to the 1950s.
Alfred Baigent at front in bowler hat. John Terry Bishop (father of museum founder Lucie Bishop) moved his building business to Golden Square from Cooper's Yard in 1907 and was joined by Alfred Baigent from London in 1911, who took sole ownership by 1917 and continued to run the firm until retirement in 1957, after which it continued until being taken over by Vinalls in 1970. Also seen, Edward Sayers, Spelzar Chowne (born 1879) upstairs, Ron Sayers and Wilfred Chowne on left (Spelzar's son), Bill Browning holding Blossom the horse. Restored, colourised and enhanced, 2020. Henfield Museum collection